WHO chief wishes Donald Trump ‘a full and speedy recovery’ after contracting Covid-19

[ad_1]

  • WHO
    head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus wished Donald Trump a “speedy
    recovery” after Trump and his wife Melania tested positive for Covid-19.
  • Earlier
    this year, Trump was at loggerheads with the WHO, accusing it of botching the
    response to the coronavirus pandemic which first emerged in China.
  • Trump
    called the WHO “a puppet of China” and claimed the world health body
    was too close to Beijing.

Geneva
– The head of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, on
Friday wished Donald Trump a swift recovery after the US president and his wife
Melania caught Covid-19.

In a tweet, Tedros wished the
couple “a full and speedy recovery” as he echoed well wishes from
around the world.

Trump is pulling the United
States out of the UN health agency, which he accuses of botching its response
to the pandemic that emerged in China, and of being too close to Beijing.

In May, Trump said: “They’re
a puppet of China, they’re China-centric to put it nicer… They gave us a lot
of bad advice.”

He accused the WHO of
“severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus”.

Trump charged, among other
things, that the outbreak could have been contained “with very little
death” if the WHO had accurately assessed the situation in China, where
the respiratory disease broke out late last year.

‘Independent evaluation’

The United States formally
started its withdrawal from the WHO in July, making good on Trump’s threats to
deprive the organisation of its top donor.

Public health advocates and
Trump’s political opponents voiced outrage at the move.

Throughout the pandemic, Tedros
has consistently hit out at divisions in the international community, warning
of the consequences of a lack of solidarity.

Against the backdrop of Trump’s
criticisms, WHO member states in May agreed a resolution calling for an
“impartial, independent and comprehensive evaluation… to review
experience gained and lessons learned from the WHO-coordinated international
health response” to the pandemic.

It said the probe should review
WHO’s “actions… and their timelines”.

The Independent Panel for
Pandemic Preparedness and Response is headed by former New Zealand prime
minister Helen Clark and former Liberian president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.

The group intends to produce
interim findings in November and a full report in May 2021.

Did you know you can comment on this article? Subscribe to News24 and add your voice to the conversation.

[ad_2]

Source link

error: eRadio is protected !!
×