Taxi strike finally over

The news was welcomed on Thursday night when SANTACO-Western Cape called off the week-long taxi strike with immediate effect. 

The strike resulted in wide-scale violence across the province, disruptions to essential services and up to 850,000 pupils missed school. An Investigation has also been launched into the death of a British doctor killed during the Cape Town strike, capturing the attention of international media.

Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said the strike dragged on for far too long, with residents, particularly the poor, worst affected.

“We endured an especially difficult time in finding a resolution. I am still very angry about the scale of violence that accompanied the strike. It is unacceptable and tragic that 5 people were killed, buses, private vehicles, and property were attacked and burned, and roads were blockaded and people were cut off from essential services such as health and education. Violence is not how we resolve our issues, and I trust that if this strike has demonstrated anything it is that the way we resolve issues is through engagement and talking,” Winde said.

The following statement was released from the desk of Mandla Hermanus, Chairperson of SANTACO- Western Cape:

It is with profound relief that we announce the immediate cessation of the Stay Away. This comes after painstaking deliberations and immense pressure on all parties involved.

First and foremost, on behalf of SANTACO- Western Cape, I convey our sincerest condolences to the families of those who tragically lost their lives during the Stay Away. We stand with you in this time of grief and offer our profound sympathy.

We also extend our heartfelt sympathy to everyone who was negatively affected by the events of the past days.

It deeply saddens and disappoints us that it took this long for all parties to find a resolution. The wellbeing of our community and public at large has always been our top priority, and it pains us to witness the unnecessary pain and suffering that transpired.

I am pleased to announce that as part of the resolution reached between the Taxi industry and the Government, there is an agreement that in the next 14 days will be utilised to work towards the release of the vehicles that were wrongly impounded.

In conclusion, a heartfelt thank you goes out to each and everyone of you for your patience, resilience, and unwavering resolve during these challenging times. We pledge our ongoing commitment to serve our communities with integrity, ensuring such incidents do not repeat in the future.

Issued by the South African National Taxi Council, Western Cape

error: eRadio is protected !!