5 Dec 2023 | SANews
Nineteen South Africans who had been stuck in war-hit Gaza are coming home.
This as hostilities continue between Israel and Palestine.
The six males and 13 females, who were in Gaza since 7 October 2023, have now arrived safely in Cairo and are en route to South Africa, said the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) on Monday.
The South Africans were approved for evacuation into Egypt by the Israeli authorities on Sunday, 11 November 2023.
“South Africa extends its gratitude to the government of Egypt for granting the evacuated foreign nationals safe passage through the Rafah Crossing into its country.”
Meanwhile, the department said the Israeli government has indicated that it intends to extend its attack on the people of Gaza.
“The statements from Israeli leaders appear impervious to the global calls for an immediate end to the killing of Palestinian civilians.
“South Africa calls for an immediate and permanent ceasefire and the resumption of talks that will end the violence arising from the continued belligerent occupation and lays the basis for a just and lasting solution,” the department added.