Over 8 000 foreign nationals arrested in law enforcement operations

The South African Police Service (SAPS), in close collaboration with the Department of Home Affairs, the Border Management Authority (BMA), and other government departments, has sharpened its focus on immigration enforcement with 8 896 foreign nationals arrested.

In a statement on Wednesday, the police said the foreign nationals were arrested nationwide in the past 14 days for contravening the Immigration Act (Act No. 13 of 2002). 

Some of these individuals are also facing additional charges involving serious and violent crime, including murder, rape, and the possession of unlicenced firearms. 

These figures reflect government’s commitment to deal decisively with illegal immigration and related offences across the country. 

Just last week, multiple operations conducted across the Gauteng province resulted in the arrest of more than 800 undocumented foreign nationals. In one of the operations, police, supported by the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) and other stakeholders, arrested 217 suspects at Losberg Kloof Mine in Westonaria on 07 July 2026. 

The operation targeted illegal mining activities and other related criminal offences in the area.

In Reitz in the Free State, intelligence led officers to a biscuit manufacturing factory on 03 July 2026, where nine undocumented foreign nationals were arrested. The suspects remain in custody pending immigration verification. 

The municipality has been engaged, and the factory faces closure while investigations continue. Authorities are weighing further action against the owner for alleged non-compliance.

Meanwhile, the Acting National Commissioner of the SAPS, Lieutenant General Puleng Dimpane, has issued a stern warning against unlawful intimidation and harassment of foreign nationals. 

This follows the arrest of five suspects in Lephalale, Limpopo, who posed as Home Affairs officials and unlawfully demanded the removal of foreign nationals from Marapong township. Verification by the Department of Home Affairs confirmed that the targeted Nigerian national was legally documented and permitted to operate his business.

In addition, a multidisciplinary team has been appointed to investigate the murder of March and March Gauteng leader, Andile Mvuyiselwa Somgaxa, who was shot in the driveway of his home in Greenfield, Johannesburg, on 04 July 2026 and succumbed to his injuries in hospital on 09 July 2026.

“Violence, whether perpetrated by South Africans or foreign nationals, destroys communities, erodes trust, and will never be tolerated as a solution to resolve disputes. We urge communities to not take matters into their own hands. Our men and women in blue are hard at work in arresting those who contravene the laws of our country,” said Dimpane. 

The SAPS also reminded the public that only authorised law enforcement officials may conduct inspections and verify the legal status of individuals within South Africa. Acts of intimidation, vigilantism or violence will be met with decisive action. 

Swartberg Pass Closed Following Overturned Truck

Emergency services responded to a heavy motor vehicle accident at approximately 07:30 this morning on the Swartberg Pass.

A truck transporting grain overturned approximately 14 km before the pass in the direction of Prins Albert, resulting in a substantial grain spillage and a minor diesel leak on the roadway.

Due to the nature of the incident and the ongoing recovery operation, the Swartberg Pass is closed to all traffic until further notice.

The Oudtshoorn Municipality Fire & Rescue Services are on scene and are working in close coordination with the Garden Route District Municipality Fire & Rescue Services, the South African Police Service (SAPS), Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Provincial Traffic to secure the area and clear the roadway.

Members of the public are urged to avoid the area, as no vehicles will be able to travel over the Swartberg Pass towards Prins Albert while recovery operations are underway.

Please note that the Cango Caves remain open and accessible.

Further updates will be communicated as soon as more information becomes available.

Home Affairs expands Digital Partnership as Absa launches Smart ID applications

The Department of Home Affairs has expanded its Digital Partnership with the banking sector after Absa became the fourth bank to offer Smart ID card applications.

Absa joins Capitec, Standard Bank and First National Bank in providing the service, bringing the total number of participating bank branches to 296 nationwide.

Initially, 12 Absa branches will offer Smart ID services, with another 60 branches expected to be added before the end of 2026.

Absa will also introduce a mobile service, called Bank on the Move, to extend Home Affairs services to more communities.

The department says more than 385,000 Smart ID applications have already been processed through the Digital Partnership, reflecting growing demand for digital services and encouraging South Africans to replace the green barcoded ID book with the more secure Smart ID card.

Home Affairs Minister Dr Leon Schreiber says the expansion is part of the Home Affairs @ home reform programme, which aims to increase the network to 750 participating bank branches by the end of the year and improve access to secure Home Affairs services across the country.
error:
Scroll to Top