The SA Agulhas II has arrived safely at Marion Island, where a 32-member team is working to reactivate the research base following the evacuation of the previous team earlier this year.
Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Minister David Maynier said significant progress had already been made to restore the base through careful coordination and cooperation between all stakeholders.
“While there is still much work to be done, the efficient redeployment of the Marion Island team bodes well for the future of our research programme in the region,” Maynier said in a statement on Thursday.
The team departed Cape Town on 5 August 2026 and reached Marion Island on 9 August to begin an initial inspection of the base.
It includes 20 officials from the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI), who landed on 10 August to begin reactivating the facility.
The operation has involved transporting equipment, repair materials and essential supplies from the vessel to the island by helicopter.
The Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment said cargo offloading would continue over the coming week. If there are no delays, the formal takeover of the base by the M83 team is scheduled for 25 August.
Maynier stressed the strategic importance of research conducted at Marion Island, noting that the Southern Ocean has a direct impact on South Africa’s climate, economy and security.
“We must retain our position as Africa’s leader in Southern Ocean and Antarctic research, through careful management of our bases on Marion Island and Antarctica,” he said.
Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Minister David Maynier said significant progress had already been made to restore the base through careful coordination and cooperation between all stakeholders.
“While there is still much work to be done, the efficient redeployment of the Marion Island team bodes well for the future of our research programme in the region,” Maynier said in a statement on Thursday.
The team departed Cape Town on 5 August 2026 and reached Marion Island on 9 August to begin an initial inspection of the base.
It includes 20 officials from the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI), who landed on 10 August to begin reactivating the facility.
The operation has involved transporting equipment, repair materials and essential supplies from the vessel to the island by helicopter.
The Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment said cargo offloading would continue over the coming week. If there are no delays, the formal takeover of the base by the M83 team is scheduled for 25 August.
Maynier stressed the strategic importance of research conducted at Marion Island, noting that the Southern Ocean has a direct impact on South Africa’s climate, economy and security.
“We must retain our position as Africa’s leader in Southern Ocean and Antarctic research, through careful management of our bases on Marion Island and Antarctica,” he said.
