Springboks face All Blacks in Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry opener

The Springboks will take on New Zealand’s All Blacks in the opening Test of the inaugural Castle Double Malt Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry series at Ellis Park in Johannesburg on Saturday.

Springboks head coach Rassie Erasmus said the squad combines players who remained in South Africa to prepare for the series with those who featured against Argentina.

Erasmus said the squad was well balanced and that the return of several players from injury, along with sufficient recovery time for others following the Nations Championship, had helped with preparations.

“The All Blacks are a quality team, and we selected combinations we think would be best suited for the challenge this weekend,” Erasmus said on the Springboks website.

He added that the squad had been together for more than a week and was fully aligned with the team’s approach for the match.

“We are preparing for an 80-minute grind. They have a well-rounded squad with physical forwards and an exciting backline, so we have to be sharp and accurate in our execution from the outset.”

Erasmus expects another closely fought encounter between the two rivals and stressed the importance of taking opportunities and maintaining discipline.

“Many of the matches between the sides have come down to the wire, so it is important that we use the chances we create and ensure that our discipline is on point. It is going to be a big battle, but the entire squad is excited about the match and looking forward to it,” he said.

PRASA to Run Special Trains for Springboks and All Blacks Matches

The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) will operate dedicated train services for rugby fans attending the upcoming Barbarian Tour and Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry fixtures in Gauteng and the Western Cape.

The special services will support three major matches: the Springboks’ Test against the All Blacks at 10BET Ellis Park in Johannesburg, the Lions’ clash with the All Blacks at the same venue, and the Springboks’ second Test against the All Blacks at DHL Stadium in Cape Town.

PRASA said the additional services form part of its commitment to providing safe, reliable, affordable and convenient public transport for major sporting events.

“Supporters are encouraged to arrive at their departure stations early and to buy return tickets before travelling. This will reduce queues and make for a smoother journey,” PRASA said.

Commuters using Isitimela Sabantu and travelling through PRASA stations have also been urged to comply with rail safety regulations.

Train services

Springboks vs All Blacks - 10BET Ellis Park, Johannesburg
Saturday, 22 August 2026


PRASA will operate a free shuttle service between Johannesburg Park Station and Ellis Park Station for supporters with valid match tickets.

Trains will run every 15 minutes from 12:30pm to 8:30pm, with connections to Gautrain services at Park Station. The last Gautrain service departs at 9pm.

Lions vs All Blacks – 10BET Ellis Park, Johannesburg
Tuesday, 25 August 2026


A shuttle service will operate between Johannesburg Park Station and Ellis Park Station every 15 minutes from 2:30pm to 10:30pm.

Connections to Gautrain services will be available at Park Station, with the last Gautrain departing at 11pm. A return ticket will cost R20.

Springboks vs All Blacks – DHL Stadium, Cape Town
Saturday, 29 August 2026


PRASA Western Cape will operate additional train services to accommodate the thousands of supporters expected to attend the match at DHL Stadium.

The services are intended to provide a convenient alternative to private vehicles and help reduce traffic congestion around the Cape Town CBD and Green Point.

PRASA said further information on train schedules will be shared through its official digital platforms, including WhatsApp commuter groups.

Team SA Wins 28 Medals at Glasgow 2026 Commonwealth Games

Team South Africa wrapped up an impressive campaign at the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, finishing with 28 medals – one more than the team achieved at the 2022 Birmingham Games.

The Games, held from 23 July to 2 August 2026, saw South Africa place 11th on the final medals table after securing seven gold, 11 silver and 10 bronze medals.

According to Team South Africa, swimmer Pieter Coetze was the country's standout performer, claiming three individual backstroke gold medals and two relay golds. Additional gold medals were won by Lara van Niekerk in swimming, Nathan Hendricks and Christian Sadie in para swimming, and Sinesipho Dlamini in athletics.

Sport, Arts and Culture Minister Gayton McKenzie congratulated Team South Africa on their achievements, praising the athletes for representing the country with pride.

"This team went to Glasgow and did us proud. They gave it their all, and every single one of them comes home having helped to add another proud chapter to South Africa's sporting history," McKenzie said.

A large group of Team South Africa athletes returned to OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday morning. Although the Minister was unable to welcome them in person, he sent a message of congratulations through the South African Sports Confederation, Olympic and Paralympic Committee (SASCOC).

McKenzie also encouraged young South Africans to draw inspiration from the team's success.

"To every young South African who watched these Games: these athletes were once just like you, and you can write your own names into the record books if seeing these achievements lit a fire in your belly," he said.

He also paid tribute to South Africa's para athletes, including Nathan Hendricks, Christian Sadie, Danika Vyncke and Masala Makatu, saying their achievements demonstrated that determination and resilience could overcome adversity while inspiring others.

"We salute you all as the heroes you are, and I look forward to being with the whole team again soon," McKenzie added.

The Minister confirmed that the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture will host an official reception for the full Team South Africa delegation once all athletes have returned from Glasgow.

McKenzie explains R31 million World Cup expenditure

Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture Gayton McKenzie has provided a breakdown of the approximately R31 million spent on South Africa’s FIFA World Cup 2026 delegation and programme activities linked to fan engagement, activations and legacy initiatives, including artists and cultural participants.

This follows questions raised in Parliament and the media over the past week about spending linked to South Africa’s engagement at the World Cup.

According to the Minister, private sector partners, including Brand South Africa, Coca-Cola, HONOR, Betway, Cell C and Old School, funded Lucky Fans, journalists, podcasters and influencers who travelled as part of the programme, along with further fan mobilisation activities.

“That sponsorship sat outside the department’s own expenditure. The FIFA World Cup was the largest global sports, arts, and culture platform of the year, and it only comes around every four years. 

“Spending public money to position South Africa on such a platform is not a deviation from the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture (DSAC) mandate – it is exactly the DSAC mandate,” McKenzie explained in a statement on Sunday.

A total of 151 participants were sent to Mexico and the United States for the World Cup, excluding the service provider team.
The breakdown of the R30 945 370.15 spent on the World Cup is as follows:

Official trips and travel-related expenditure – Minister and two support staff, Director-General and Project Team (14 members):
R7 865 134.97
South Africa 2010 Legends Exhibition Match (involving 27 people in total): R6 706 925.00
Suites: R3 361 845.18
Spectator match tickets: R3 011 465.00
Programme activities linked to fan engagement, Aldea Global participation, Atlanta partnership activations, Monterrey and legacy activities, including the costs of 30 artists and cultural participants and the project delivery team from a service provider: R10 000 000.00
The R7.86 million covered the costs of the official delegation responsible for delivering the programme.

This included international flights, accommodation, local transport, travel insurance, daily allowances and all approved travel costs for McKenzie, executive management and officials responsible for logistics, communications, protocol, governance and programme delivery, as well as South African artists and cultural representatives who formed part of the official delegation.
The R6.71 million funded the South Africa 2010 Legends Programme.

“The match between the 2010 Bafana Bafana legends and Mexico’s 2010 legends was filled. Our football legends didn’t just travel to watch football. They represented South Africa in an official exhibition match and legacy events that celebrated our football history and kept the spirit of 2010 alive while promoting South African football on the global stage,” the Minister said.

The R3.36 million funded official hospitality venues in Atlanta and Monterrey.

The R3.01 million covered 294 official FIFA match tickets across three host cities.

“Those tickets formed part of the approved programme and allowed our delegation, stakeholders and programme participants to attend official World Cup fixtures linked to South Africa’s activation and engagement programme,” McKenzie said.

He said R10 million was spent on building South Africa’s physical presence at the FIFA World Cup, including funding the design, construction and installation of exhibition spaces in Mexico City, Atlanta and Monterrey.

It covered branding, décor, lighting, sound, screens, technical equipment, furniture, logistics, transport, security, maintenance and the teams that built, operated and later dismantled the spaces.

“It funded the actual programme that thousands of football fans experienced. South African musicians performed live. Our chefs introduced the world to South African food. 

“Local artists and crafters displayed and sold South African products proudly. Businesses promoted South Africa as a tourism destination and an investment destination. Visitors walked away with a better understanding of our country, our people and what South Africa has to offer,” McKenzie said.
error:
Scroll to Top