SA Agulhas II arrives safely at Marion Island

The SA Agulhas II has arrived safely at Marion Island, where a 32-member team is working to reactivate the research base following the evacuation of the previous team earlier this year.

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Minister David Maynier said significant progress had already been made to restore the base through careful coordination and cooperation between all stakeholders.

“While there is still much work to be done, the efficient redeployment of the Marion Island team bodes well for the future of our research programme in the region,” Maynier said in a statement on Thursday.

The team departed Cape Town on 5 August 2026 and reached Marion Island on 9 August to begin an initial inspection of the base.
It includes 20 officials from the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI), who landed on 10 August to begin reactivating the facility.

The operation has involved transporting equipment, repair materials and essential supplies from the vessel to the island by helicopter.

The Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment said cargo offloading would continue over the coming week. If there are no delays, the formal takeover of the base by the M83 team is scheduled for 25 August.

Maynier stressed the strategic importance of research conducted at Marion Island, noting that the Southern Ocean has a direct impact on South Africa’s climate, economy and security.

“We must retain our position as Africa’s leader in Southern Ocean and Antarctic research, through careful management of our bases on Marion Island and Antarctica,” he said.

Kruger National Park flood repairs estimated at R950 million


The cost of repairing infrastructure damaged by severe flooding in the Kruger National Park earlier this year is estimated at R950 million.

Heavy rains and flooding in January 2026 caused extensive damage to roads, accommodation facilities and water-related infrastructure across the park.

Since then, the park’s management team and contractors have been working on a phased recovery programme to repair the damage and strengthen infrastructure against future extreme weather events.

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Minister David Maynier said the recovery effort is focused not only on restoring damaged facilities, but also on building more modern and resilient infrastructure.

“Our national parks are valuable environmental assets, and the Kruger National Park is the jewel in our crown. We must ensure that they are maintained and revitalised.”

Maynier visited the Kruger National Park last week for briefings on the progress of the flood recovery programme.

He also visited Letaba Rest Camp, one of the areas worst affected by the floods, where repairs are currently underway.

The A and B circles at Letaba are expected to reopen in September 2026.

The Letaba High-Level Bridge, which was also severely damaged, has already reopened, with the final stages of its rebuild nearing completion.

During his visit, Maynier also engaged with guests at Skukuza Rest Camp and the Letaba campsite.

He said maintaining a positive guest experience remains a key priority as investment in the park continues.

“The guest experience must be a key focus for investments going forward, as we want families and friends to come together and create lasting memories of their time at the Park,” Maynier said.

He added that feedback from visitors was overwhelmingly positive, while any outstanding issues would be addressed by park management.

The Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment is expected to provide further updates on the progress of the recovery work.
error:
Scroll to Top