Oudtshoorn enters 3rd day of no electricity

Oudtshoorn residents facing a prolonged electricity outage have been told they may have to wait until Monday afternoon for power to be restored, with frustration mounting on social media.

Oudtshoorn residents facing a prolonged electricity outage have been told they may have to wait until Monday afternoon for power to be restored, with frustration mounting on social media.

Eskom has extended the estimated restoration time for the Oudtshoorn power outage after technical teams encountered delays during repair work.

In its latest update issued on Sunday, 16 August 2026, Eskom said the restoration of electricity supply had been delayed due to the complexity of the work being carried out.

The estimated restoration time has now been moved to approximately 14:00 on Monday, 17 August 2026.

The outage has left residents without electricity for an extended period, with the disruption affecting households in Oudtshoorn and surrounding areas.

Eskom said its technical teams remain committed to restoring electricity supply as safely and efficiently as possible.

The prolonged outage has sparked anger and concern among residents, particularly those worried about food spoiling and vulnerable people being left without electricity.

One frustrated resident wrote on social media: “And so you just keep moving the time later and later! There are people whose food is going to spoil! And there are elderly people sitting completely alone in their homes! Absolutely heartbreaking!”

The latest extension has added to growing frustration among residents who have already endured a lengthy interruption to their electricity supply.

Eskom apologised to affected customers for the continued outage and the inconvenience caused, while thanking residents for their patience, understanding and cooperation.

Customers can contact Eskom through the MyEskom Customer App, the Alfred Chatbot, or the Eskom Contact Centre on 08600 37566.

Residents are advised to continue monitoring official updates from Eskom and the Greater Oudtshoorn Municipality for further information about the restoration of power.

R310,000 Worth of Dagga Seized in Prince Albert Bus Operation

SAPS members in the Central Karoo have arrested a 50-year-old woman after dagga worth an estimated R310,000 was discovered aboard a passenger bus in Prince Albert.

The arrest followed a vehicle checkpoint conducted by the Central Karoo Flying Squad along Prince Albert Road at about 06:55 on Saturday, 8 August 2026.

Police stopped and searched a passenger bus, where they discovered a suitcase containing 38.70kg of dagga. The drugs were positively linked to the woman, who was arrested on a charge of dealing in drugs.

She is expected to appear in the Prince Albert Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 11 August 2026.

More than 660 litres of liquor seized

Meanwhile, police operations in the Garden Route District also resulted in the seizure of more than 660 litres of liquor from an unlicensed liquor outlet in De Rust.

Later on Saturday at about 21:10, Dysselsdorp police conducted a sting operation in Dahlia Street, Dysselsdorp, outside Oudtshoorn.

Officers confiscated 62 crates of beer and 20 containers filled with liquor. A 57-year-old woman was arrested for allegedly selling liquor without a licence. She is expected to appear in court once formally charged.

Police target illicit goods

SAPS says the strategic deployment of Flying Squad members along entry and exit routes into the region will continue as part of efforts to prevent illicit drugs and alcohol from entering the province.

The district commissioners commended police members for their vigilance in tackling drug- and alcohol-related offences and working to improve safety in the Central Karoo and Garden Route.
error:
Scroll to Top